PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2014, 20:15
Ian Burgess-Barber

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Drudgery?!!

MPN11

Thank you for your last.
Firstly, for all the boys (and Gals) who like my father were not on the front line, but served wherever they were sent, and did their "bit".
Secondly, for finding my posting of what little I know of Geoff and his war of interest. Every time I sit at the keyboard to post, I hesitate and think to myself "is this going to bore these rough, tough, military types to distraction, by relating a story in which not much happens - no heroism, no medals (apart from the ones just for turning up) no mentions in dispatches". Your use of the word "insights" makes me feel it might have some value - thanks again.
The only word in your post that I would take issue with is "drudgery". Geoff, (my old ex-WReN Mum tells me), was passionate about his flying. If you have read my previous posts you will know that he started as a "Brat", a boy apprentice, and achieved his goal of being an RAF pilot in WW2. He was 21 years old when he arrived in India and I am sure that he would he would have been delighted to fly anything that they gave him. Modern day regulaters (the so-far appalling EASA) would have a purple fit at the idea of a "non - type rated", or lacking "differences training" young person climbing out of a Dakota co-pilot's seat and lugging his kit over to a Hurricane to take that on for two further sectors that day - but that's how it was.

Ian B-B

Last edited by Ian Burgess-Barber; 24th Jun 2014 at 20:44.