PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2014, 17:11
harrym

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
194 Sqdn etc

Brian48nav:- Think I have somewhere a history of 194, in which I certainly don't figure. I arrived only a few weeks before the bomb, thus missing its prestigious work during the Burma campaign; for sure, we were kept quite busy after the war's end but that was rather different!

Hummingfrog:- Thanks for the pix. A few Diesels were introduced into the US during the 1930s, but their widespread introduction was delayed by the war when it was deemed prudent (also less expensive, and less demanding of scarce resources) to stick with the proven technology of steam.

Tiddles:- Many thanks for the invite to Tatenhill, would love to accept but sadly live too far distant to make it practical - but enjoyed looking at the website!

Chugalug2:- The only early-days visual azimuth indicator I recall was the so-called 'drunken chopsticks', two intersecting needles that were bottom-hinged and sloped inwards at an approx 45 degree angle; when 'on beam' or whatever they were supposed to intersect on a fixed vertical centreline, when displaced they indicated left or right as appropriate. Having said that, I don't remember ever using them or even from what piece of radio equipment they were supposedly reading. Not much help, sorry!