PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Choice of plane for PPL
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2014, 09:34
BroomstickPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 Axis Micros

Hi Amblikai,

I've been away for a week, so I am picking up on this thread at a late stage.

There is one question that should have been asked of you by other posters but which seems to have been missed. Are you intending to 'go professional' by getting an ATPL/CPL or are you learning to fly just for a pass-time/hobby?

If you are 'going professional' then clearly PPL is the only way to go. However if you are learning to fly purely for a hobby then I suggest you should at least take a look at the 3 axis microlight category of aircraft and the BMAA's pilot qualification. These aircraft are, however, non-aerobatic, so if that is what you intend to do then once again these aircraft will not suit you.

The 3 Axis category is in every way a cheaper to fly and the aircraft are modern and perform in some cases better than the Group A (PPL) category. The only limitation is weight, so if you weigh 20 stone then clearly this category is not right for you.

As an excellent training 3 axis type I would recommend the 'Ikarus' which performs better than a C152 (and has a good strong undercarriage) and after training there are numerous very good types operated by groups that you might buy into depending what is available to you locally.

Good luck!

BP.