PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice on flying schools at Elstree
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2014, 08:39
Baikonour

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I started with Flyers 2 months ago and am very pleased with them.

I made my choice after trying 3 different schools with, amongst others, the 152 and the PA-28. As already mentioned, Flyers don't use 152, they fly PA-28s. One of these has a glass cockpit if you fancy that. And you can also fly a DA-40 if you want (not ab initio, though). Once you have your PPL, the club also has a Cirrus, an AA5, a Rockwell Commander...

My reasons for choosing Flyers were principally:
- I felt I would get on well with the instructor I flew with
- Vicky arranges fly-outs and helps you get experience outside the normal instruction environment both during and after your PPL.
- The aircraft looked/felt nicer than the others I tried.

Price wise, there was little difference between the schools I looked at. If you look at the details of how they time the hours (T/O to landing, brakes on/off, hobbs...) it became very similar and I ended up ignoring that in my choice.

Your priorities may differ - and, unless they have had a really bad experience, everyone is likely to suggest the place they fly/flew themselves - very few have actually experienced more than one PPL school :-)

This:
> Visit a couple of places, speak to some people and see what you like and don't like.

Is a must. You will spend a lot of time in a small space next to a relative stranger. Make sure you find a space you like and a person you will get on with.

Baikonour.