PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New ADS-B Requirement Built on an ASA/CASA Lie
Old 24th Jun 2014, 00:07
Dexta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mandatory ADS-B under 10,000 reduces safety...

I have an IFR C172 and a CIR, I rarely fly over 9,000', most of the time between 4,000' and 8,000' in class G. The reason I choose to fly IFR is so that I do not have to "scud run" and I enjoy the precision and skill involved in flying IFR.
My aircraft has a Garmin 300XL, and Mode c Xpndr. Come 2017 I will have to remove the 300XL as it is only TSO129a and replace it with a WAAS capable TSO 146 unit, I will have to remodel the panel, replace cables and antennae. The current quote was a ballpark of $25,000.
I am not going to spend 50% of the value of the aircraft on upgrading the avionics as I will not get that back when/if I sell it. So I have a choice to either fly VFR or not fly at all. If I fly VFR then I may be delayed hours or days waiting for cloud to lift or choose to scud run. If I drive then I have to take my chances on the "wonderful"Australian roads we have.
Also, flying at 4,000 to 6,000 there are no current ADS-B receivers that will pick me up anyway unless I'm flying where there is current radar coverage. So I have no benefit if I spend the money and reduced safety if I cannot afford to spend the money, terrific!