PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - X-Ray Vision in Perth?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2014, 22:20
Kharon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn straight.

Eclan # 70 –"This thread does begin to make a little sense when one realises, like I did belatedly, that the argument was started and carried by peanut throwers in the gallery.

This reads exactly like GA wannabes who have an issue with jets or airlines or the eastern states or Perth airport or whatever, take your pic, and I've seen all of the above exhibited there!! And these silly claims about pilots flying below minimas while still in IMC in fog - that is really amateur."
Steam ON.

during his GA time the nipper also worked for the company and described to me the company expectation that he would land a charter aircraft full of passengers in zero visibility.
Bollocks. Bollocks on three levels: 1) Not even the roughest, dumbest, light minded chief pilot, owner or operator would allow a statement like that to be even whispered in the darkest corner of the furthest pub from civilisation, not even legless during a Friday night session. (2) Junior pilots are often 'startled' when they actually realise the full implications of the 'job'; all weather operations. The first encounter with real 'minima', pissing rain, wind and real potential for go-around, quite often produces 'trembling knees' syndrome when it is realised just how close to the dirt they actually are and how little room there is to play with. (3) Who, with half a brain would be out 'in it' with no fuel and nowhere to go. Bollocks and BTW it has nothing to do with McComic – it's just the job, the reality of life once you leave the sheltered workshop of flight school. Expecting to work 0930 until 1600 with a long lunch break, short hops in perfect conditions is only a distant dream.

he was well skilled in instrument flying and while the hairs were up on the back of the neck lack of fuel caused him to follow company expectations.....
Several real life safety concerns right there, but the one that really troubles is the notion that the flight was allowed, by the PIC to be placed in dire jeopardy to start with, and then was completed by someone who was 'terrified'. The title, pilot-in-command does not come by default, it's hard earned by being exactly that. "Sorry boss, no can do, I can give you 60% load all the way, or 100% with a pit stop, but there's no flaming way I can carry the alternate, do an approach, land with reserves and carry that payload in these weather conditions".

until the next run in clear weather he realised that he had only just missed a tower. he quit after that flight
Then 'he' should never have been there; obviously his "blind" approach was far out of tolerance. As I am, with idiots who make puerile, uninformed comments about real professional pilots, doing 'the job', safely and legally in all conditions, even the difficult ones.

May I suggest engage brain before opening mouth or; better, try making the command decisions, have the skill, do the training and pass the checks required which allow you to put many lives, safely on the dot in low visibility at a remote airfield; lets know how you get on.

Steam off. Sorry folks, don't know, it just gets to me sometimes.