PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Allegiance
Thread: Allegiance
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2014, 21:39
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Phil,

I probably fall in to the same category as TOFO, and am equally well divorced from my days as a serving airman. What I would say is that he makes a point, as a singly, my time off to see the girlfriend, and afterwards raising the kids certainly made demands on my thoughts. But, when sent to the Gulf, I went, when sent to Bosnia, I went. I went to Kigale, straight from my daughters 18th Birthday party, with no qualms. Perhaps some have conflicts about allegiance, loyalty etc. I had none, I'd signed a contract that said, you do what we tell you to do, and we will pay you enough to afford a decent life for your wife and kids. I have been fortunate to meet our monarch twice during my career, both times bringing home to me the seriousness of the oath of allegiance we all took. I'm just an honest bloke from north of Brum, and if I say I will do something, I like to stay true to that. 30 years of service made me a better person than the one that joined in 1969, it allowed me to give my wife and children a good life, and despite my age, if anything "kicked off" again, I would definitely offer whatever service I can. I hope that helps with your interest in Allegiance. I would say that it's probably us "old geezers" who still allude to it.

Smudge