PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How many of your CPL classmates are flying 7 years after graduation?
Old 23rd Jun 2014, 20:02
portsharbourflyer
Educated Hillbilly

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JS,

When you say you don't recommend this career, may I suggest you give up flying go back and work in an Office you will find within 5 minutes you will wish you were flying again. JS, I have no idea on your background, so the following comment is general not aimed at you, but I find those most dissatisfied with flying are those that went straight into it with out experiencing non flying jobs first.

I worked as a full time instructor had a brief spell on turboprops, when I had to go back to my old career of Engineering, I found been stuck behind a desk for most of the time nothing short of soul destroying, boring and depressing. I have spent the last few years just yearning to be flying full time. No part time instructing doesn't satisfy the flying bug, it is generally exhausting having to work that 6th day of the week, and once you have experienced something that is heavyish with turbines, C152s and PA28s to my mind don't give the same satisfaction.

The old adage fly for fun, sorry the really fun stuff to fly is exceptionally expensive to fly, not justifiable for many even on good salaries.

Just my view. Rationally flying does justify the financial outlay, but once you have experienced it, I don't think you can ever be happy behind a desk again. Nearly all I trained with are now in some kind of full time flying employment, I would add those that funded type ratings at the time are far better off than those that went instructing.