PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HK AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL BLOG
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2014, 15:56
bekolblockage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While I'm here, here's one for you guys.

We recently introduced some revised level restrictions on the SIERA/CANTO STARs to alleviate some problems with the steep descent profile from MURRY on 07.

This is an opportunity for a bit of an education process for both sides.

ICAO has faffed around on and off again over the past few years with the need for the controller to reiterate altitude requirements/restrictions, where we are at the pojnt where nobody knows what they are meant to do.

PANS-ATM has now clarifed that altitude restrictions on SIDs/STARs must be adhered to unless explicitly cancelled by the controller.
The whole objective is to cut down on the R/T.

Unfortunately, nobody in their right mind will trust aircraft to follow the published steps and base separation on them now, given the to-ing and fro-ing from ICAO.

The new SIERA/CANTO STARs are a good opportunity to at least gain some confidence that aircraft can simply be descended to FL110 without saying anything else and you will cross CANTO at or above F130 and MURRY between 130 and 110.
Again, I would say no controller would issue such an instruction if there is a Shenzhen departure immediately beneath you at F120. They would be mad to at this stage.

But you guys can start to do your bit by not asking "is that unrestricted?" when you are given descent to F110 outside CANTO on the STAR. I know most controllers will come back with "affirm" but that just reinforces the whole uncertainty again.

Please just follow the published restrictions. We know its actually not a restriction- you never get near F130 before CANTO, so just don't say anything and leave it in the box.

Gradually I hope both sides will start to trust that these type of procedures can work and we can introduce in other areas to cut down immensely on R/T.

Thanks!