PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - X-Ray Vision in Perth?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2014, 11:31
dubbleyew eight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
on one of my control system courses the guys buttonholed me for an opinion.

"you're a pilot, how do they make a landing into geraldton with absolutely no forward visibility?"

I had to bite my lip and make no comment.

during his GA time the nipper also worked for the company and described to me the company expectation that he would land a charter aircraft full of passengers in zero visibility.
he was well skilled in instrument flying and while the hairs were up on the back of the neck lack of fuel caused him to follow company expectations.
....until the next run in clear weather he realised that he had only just missed a tower.
he quit after that flight.

the problem here is not that the company is at fault (well it is but it isn't) but that australian aviation has been so stupidly developed by our government that basic infrastructure that would make it safe has never been installed.

the guys in the peanut gallery are merely asking how they land when they can't see.
they don't know, shall we say, how much a pilot needs to be confident of his abilities at times.

I know the situation is crap and watching a moron like McCormic does nothing for my blood pressure. it could so easily be fixed.