PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PRESTWICK
Thread: PRESTWICK
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2014, 07:06
Facelookbovvered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLAbear

Nice sentiments but before we all start a GLA bear love in, pray tell what exactly did Infratil mess up? armchairs managers are like armchair pilots on this forum two a penny.

In the days before APD and the break up of what was BAA PIK was at the centre of the then new LoCo boom time with super cheap flights to Scotland from the Midlands and London with the like of FR & WW prices were a fraction of what you would have to pay for the BA shuttle or bmi into GLA, cheap travel was new and novel, many a traveller got of aircraft all over Europe thinking where the f**k have we landed??? it might have said Glasgow on the online booking system but for many it was like booking Manchester and landing in Liverpool, nice place but not where i wanted to go, bmibaby quickly moved to GLA.

So GLAbear as they say when investing money "previous performance is no indication of future performance" and that's the difference between sentiment and business sense, like you i have also been made redundant and don't wish it on anyone, but that alone does not justify keeping open an airport or any business, especially one funded by local Government/taxpayers, which if it continues to prop up PIK without any clear business case for a return on investment is likely to distort the local market and the loser in this case will be without doubt GLA international.

Every flight that lands at PIK may have a few people visiting the Ayrshire coast or local business but the majority will be up the road to GLA to where they wanted to be in the first place, they landed at PIK only because FR offered very cheap fares and they are cheap because they are operating to an airport that is burning cash and needing a Government subsidy to stay open, so GLABear PIK is a bigger threat to you being made redundant at GLA by staying open when there is no or little business case for 3 international airports in the central belt and i like many others smell SNP votes as the main driver here