PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Akrotiri Kebab Houses
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2014, 05:55
orgASMic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Currently, I would agree that Polis is the best with their endless salad bar and you can see far enough into the kitchen to see that your food is being prepared fresh. Sylvana's re-opened a few months ago after being shut down for about 9-10 months and is pretty good. Chris Kebab is still serving decent fare (and 84 Sqn is in there regularly for the 5 pork chop kebab challenge). Aphrodite is better for steaks than meze (the last meze I had there was pretty ropey).

As for other options, Il Gusto and Ryan's are at higher end of the price range but have the quality to match and have the welly of the Carob Mill group behind them to ensure consistency (Ryan's scores extremely well on Trip Advisor and does a fab Sunday carvery). Two Sisters and George's are both good fish and chip shops. The Swan is good value as is the New Inn. It looks like China Palace has gone under (the worst Chinese ever). I have never eaten in Lighthouse Chika (another chippy) and I don't know anyone who eats in Queen's.

There is a lot of competition for a shrinking market; people tend to stick with their favourites. Il Gusto and Ryan's are the only two that attract any significant tourist trade, the rest are supported almost entirely by Akrotiri (village and station) with some Brits coming down from Episkopi. The economic reality means that you now have to ask (and pay) for kokinelli (other spellings are available) and prices have gone up significantly since the adoption of the Euro.

The strip can still be a fun night out but you have to bring your own crowd these days.