PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Diesel V8 flys
Thread: Diesel V8 flys
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2014, 00:00
Andy_RR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by yr right
But back on track yes efi will maintain to a closer level the optimum mixture but it's only a small saving. Is it worth the development cost involved re invent the wheel. Personal I would think not. I guess time will tell. And nothing still beats the spark from a magneto.
Cheers
FADEC includes controlling ignition timing as well as fuel. That's necessary for getting the full effect, but it doesn't preclude using magnetos.

Good engine management will:

- improve fuel consumption for everyone by much more than "a small saving" - even those who are currently operating LOP
- almost eliminate starting issues at almost any temperature.
- make all of the possible power available whatever the density altitude.
- eliminate cylinder head temperature excursions that promote fatigue failure.
- reduce oil contamination from rich operation extending oil change intervals
- minimize or perhaps even eliminate plug fouling
- automate engine pre-flight testing - indeed monitor the engine condition 100% of the time
-allow operation on a wider range of fuel quality, including unleaded.
- automate and optimize turbocharger operation
- log engine run-time and fault conditions for better maintenance.
- a bunch of other stuff I haven't even imagined.

I can see why the established LAMEs wouldn't be interested though or actively promote such technology, because it represents a lot of new learning and a bunch of lost maintenance business opportunity.

But that's neither here nor there, because the real stumbling block is one of finance, development capital, litigation risk and the cost of regulatory approval. I was once pretty keen to use my experience in this area to develop something along these lines, but as it's mostly only GA-focused and GA is a shrinking market given the current regulatory environment world-wide, there is precious little interest in funding the development of such a product.