PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helmets - Should you? and Which?
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2003, 05:31
Steve76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you can't see the value in wearing a helmet in a R22, then I suspect you will never see the value.

Skidbiter; you really need to get out more.
Look up the CAA accident reports and investigate the death of Glen Hemepo in Rotorua in 1998. The only mark on Glen was an impact to his right temple that would've certainly been avoided if he was wearing a helmet.
In the NT in 2000, one of our mustering lads ran an R22 into the planet at an estimated 70kts. Tore it all to bits as it tumbled over the MGB mast. We he awoke, he was on fire but alive thanks to his Alpha. Seen the damage to that one first hand.

Not only that; it is also illegal to ride a bicycle in NZ without a helmet....one would think it prudent to put one on your noggin inside a helo

Additionally, when you graduate to something with hydralics in the range of 3000psi, as sudden hardover of the servos could cause your brain to come in contact with the numerous sharp edges inside the big twins. Take a look at an S76 cockpit for example. In this situation not only will the helmet save your bacon but it will not come off your head like a headset will.

If you are going to spend the big bucks and go new then go Alpha. If you are going second hand (as I have...) then avoid the SPH4 (mesh interior) they have a nasty habit of snapping your neck with the sharp edge on the back of the helmet during a whiplash. Called a C4 break if I recall correctly. The mesh is also very uncomfortable. SPH5 is a better model.

Other than that, do what others have said and save your bucks....you are gonna need them.