PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reducing thrust in cruise for overspeed
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2014, 16:19
OSCAR YANKEE

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
You'll be one of those giving me the heart attack as I wonder if you'll ever level off approaching me! The automatics always do stupid things - they can't think, so please reduce your rate of closure.
Maybe im not explicit enough......
I wrote:

And as for the comments of reducing ROC before level off, it is only rarely necessary above FL350,
and I think you will struggle to find any operator recommending the routine use of V/S mode at those levels irrespective of aircraft type....
I know the recommendation as well as anyone, but tell me the last time you had to intervene to reduce the ROC above FL350 ??

Maybe the A/C I have flown have been underpowered, I dont know.......

As the example above - high ROC above FL350, will "normally" only happen in empty A/C or if you get a WS type scenario.

@Vilas.

All im trying to say is no A/C can defy the laws of physics, no matter how advanced the A/P. Sometimes it needs a bit of help.....

And as I said in my first post.
I have had the good fortune of reading quite a few safety reports (incl. FDR read outs) similar to the one above from Avherald - and my personal opinion remains - you are better off leaving the A/THR + A/P in and take a minor overspeed, than ending up in the mess as described above.

Follow the official procedure, and you might end up one day with the "Successfull operation - but the patient died"-scenario......