PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2014, 11:22
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
Harrym, your description of the challenges of an SBA approach makes one wonder why audio rather than visual input was so favoured in the 30/40s. When all that was needed was a L/R indicator rather than all those dots and dashes, was there a technical problem in the way of doing that? I never had to face such torture either in the Link or for real, but letting down through the murk with only that cacophony to guide you must have been both wearying and worrying.

En-Route navigation was also facilitated in this way by the Radio Range which transmitted morse code A's and N's instead of dots and dashes to signify Left or Right of the range. That I have seen in use (the Diamond Head facility at Honolulu shortly before its withdrawal) and again saw the great advantages that a VOR for instance had over it.

Ormeside28, please keep going. As Danny says, that is exactly what he did. There is a continuity here in linking the wartime RAF to the post war one. It is that very transition that is so often neglected elsewhere, but not here!

Hummingfrog Post 5692:-

well, its taken a long time but I eventually tracked down a 'man who knows' at the Bluebell Railway and am reliably informed that the RH loco is a Canadian National Railways U1a Mountain Class:-

While its companion to the left is a CN Class S1a:-

Hope that hasn't upset your laptop Danny, nor the finer feelings of railway enthusiasts by whom I stand to be corrected as always.

Last edited by Chugalug2; 22nd Jun 2014 at 11:52. Reason: Wrongly ascribed visual indicator to WW2 Lorenz system