PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Very British Airline?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2014, 09:45
TightSlot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's been a while since I've posted and this seems as good a place to start as any!

I thought that what was done to Jodie (Jody?) was cruel. Three days before the end of the six week training course and they fired her?

My issue was that I didn't believe that she should have been there in the first place: She should have been screened out at interview and failing that, she should have been let go much earlier in the course once it became apparent that she wasn't going to fit. She seemed a nice enough person, well-meaning and pleasant, if rather un-worldly, it's just that she wasn't right for the job.

So what was she doing there in the first place?

I think that letting somebody get through virtually the entire training course only to fire them on a technical breach just before graduation is cruel and smacks of an arrogance that is unappealing.

I watched all three episodes: I disliked BA before and have not been influenced to change my position. I recall one of the Trainers complaining that a trainee had offered a customer a choice of Diet Coke or "Full Fat". This, apparently, was not at all the sort of thing that BA or their customers want. If that statement is accurate, then I don't really want to be trapped in a metal tube with people that think like that: If it is not accurate, then they have some real issues in the Training department.

As I look back on my flying career, I sometimes wonder what happened to the other way of working as a Flight Attendant that involved some, if not all, of these words - Calm, quiet, assured, adult, experienced, pleasant, open, friendly, competent, worldly, approachable, knowledgeable, professional. So much of the FA culture that I see today is conducted like a TV chat show, at a near hysterical pitch where almost everybody is either Alan Carr or Kerry Katona - apart from anything else, it is exhausting.