PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Job that actually means something
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2014, 03:16
David Aames

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Job that actually means something

Hi,

I have been thinking about this for a while now and thought it might be good to put it to you all.

At present I fly a big aircraft for a big company and although the package is good and the opportunity to build a long career here exists, its missing something far more important.

Its just a job, the passion for flight and aviation has gone, as those more experienced than me said it would when I started out on this career.

So I knew this day was coming but now its here, I would gladly trade the money and benefits to really look forward to going flying (not to work) and feel passionate again about what I do.

The thought occurred to me that rather than just flying passengers around, the same thing day in, day out, would it be possible to find a flying job that actually made a difference?

Search and rescue, fire fighting, medvac, something where you can go home at night and feel proud about what you did that day, rather than just another day on the line.

I appreciate that some years ago if I read a post like this on PPrune while I aspired to reach where I am today, i would have thought, this person needs to be thankful for what they have.

I am thankful, but its me thats worked hard to get here and made the sacrifices we all have, to get to a particular point in your career.

So this isn't really a question, more of a, does this really have to be it? Anyone else wonder if there is more to work, flying? Anyone who has thrown in what is 'perceived' to be a goal in aviation (flying big planes) for a job thats more rewarding and was it worth it?

I look forward to any views