PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Wright brothers just glided in 1903. They flew in 1908.
Old 22nd Jun 2014, 00:29
eetrojan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Simplex says -
... the use of a Pope - Toledo motor, even with modifications, discredits the claims of the two brothers that they utilized engines of their own design for the 1903, 1904 and 1905 planes.

In a letter written on Dec. 6, 1905 to Frank S. Lahm (an American close to L'Aerophile), Weaver stated, amongst other things, that the plane weighted 925 lb and its engine, developing 12 - 15 hp, strongly resembled the motors used by Pope - Toledo cars, manufactured in Ohio
First, Henry Weaver's 5 December 1905 letter to his brother-in-law Frank Lahm was preceded by a cable that said, "Claims fully verified, particulars by mail." Source - See "December 3" entry

Second, I can read and it appears, at best, that you have a bias and are being overzealous. The back-to-English translation of Lahm's French translation of Weaver's 1905 letter is below (emphasis mine).

Based on his own words, it's obvious that Weaver didn't see the engine and tell Lahm that he believed that it looked like a plagiarized copy of the Pole-Toledo engine. Instead, during their tram ride, Mr. Wright told Weaver that the Wright engine was of special construction and was manufactured by them. And, Mr. Wright told Weaver that the Wright engine resembled the Pope-Toledo engine.

You do see the difference, non?

English translation of letter excerpt:
During our tram ride, Mr. Wright had briefly told me what they had done during the 1905 season, which was ended abruptly, October 5, for reasons I will give later. During the season, they had about 50 flights; first, a relative success. However, after successive changes and modifications made to the device, they noticed at the end of each week, there was significant progress. From September 15 until the end of the season, we did not change anything to the device. The frame is made of wood or larch Larix (larch wood). The width from one end to another is 40 feet. The gasoline engine, a special construction - manufactured by themselves - has a great resemblance to the automotive engine of the "Pope-Toledo" brand; its strength is 12 to 15 horses. It weighs 240 pounds. The frame is covered with plain muslin, but good quality. No special effort to get to build slightly, but, on the contrary, a real task of building securely, so withstand shocks. The unit is equipped with pads like a sled, high enough to protect propellers landing shocks. The complete unit with motor weighs 925 pounds.

Last edited by eetrojan; 22nd Jun 2014 at 00:40. Reason: Corrected 1906 to 1905