PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2014, 19:43
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@M'bird:

Where do I say that "instantaneous choosing of the apparent best heading has completely taken care of his weather problem and he can relax and think about other things", or words to that effect?

Maybe it's because I've been reading Dr. Al Diehl's book on human factors recently, but I'm talking more from a psychological perspective than a practical/piloting one. Of course a minor course correction isn't going to completely solve the weather problem - and I doubt the PF thought so, but generally I find that people tend to get their stress levels elevated more when they perceive that there's a problem and nothing is being done about it, and while it doesn't exactly go away, it does tend to subside somewhat when they recognise that attention is at least being paid to solving the problem.

Incidentally, I completely recognise what you're saying about USN carrier pilots, but I think sending every trainee airline pilot to go shoot carrier landings before giving them their ATPL is probably overkill...