PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky + Boeing pitch ‘X-2’-based design for US Army JMR TD effort
Old 21st Jun 2014, 08:09
horlick97

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please pardon my ignorance. May I seek some help on the following:

What's the difference between X2's coaxial and AVX's coaxial?

I read that X2's rotors are rigid. Does that mean AVX's are not?

What is the implication of this difference? Is it solely limited to the separation between the two rotors?

I understand the larger the separation, the larger will be drag. But, it can't be worse off than Chinook (i.e. adjusted for similar size of the aircraft) which tendem rotors also need to be similarly separately vertically, can it?

In fact, due to the tandem configuration, the rotors in the Chinook have to be vertically separated more than if they were to be coxial (i.e. for similar lifeting capacity). This is due to the lateral geometry on how the rotors will flex. You know what I mean? Sorry I can't sketch it here.

Bottom line is, if the rigid rotors meant for the Defiant cause too much problem for upward scaling, can they be replaced by conventional coaxial rotors, or something in between, i.e. less rigidity and more vertical separation? Again, my premise is that the vertical separation can't be worse off than that in the Chinook.

Likewise, if the vertical separation of the AVX is causing to big a drag penalty, could it not add some rigidity in the rotors and reduce the vertical separation so as to reduce drag.

Isn't Defiant's and AVX's offering using the same technology along the same continuum?

Apologies if my trend of thought is confusing. Appreciate anyone's help.