PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Wright brothers just glided in 1903. They flew in 1908.
Old 21st Jun 2014, 07:55
Haraka

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The OP's title of this thread, to me at least, does not deny the existence of Wright flying machines pre-1908.
I'm still a bit uneasy about:
a. The initial apparent inability of the Flyer to get airborne without there being a stiff breeze.
b. The use of the catapult in still air ( bearing in mind the power requirement to get airborne greatly exceeding that to stay there).
c. The late adoption, post the European visit, of an undercarriage, over five years after the initial flight.
d. The less then acceptable results of initial test by the U.S. Army , despite the specification being apparently Wright influenced. The aircraft was delivered to Ft. Myer on August 20, 1908 The Army officially accepted the "airplane" on August 2, 1909, after a ten month delay with several contract extensions, the Wrights being in default. I accept that this could be due, in part at least, to the fatal crash .

Unease does not imply disbelief in what was achieved , but these points of contention would be of some concern to me in arguing the case for the Wrights' claims as popularly espoused.

Last edited by Haraka; 21st Jun 2014 at 15:45.