PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - One for the maintainers, hardest job you have done
Old 20th Jun 2014, 22:07
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WE992,

That sounds like an Engineering Route Report I once wrote. As the other guys attest, cold is a bloody difficult place to do engineering, particularly with procedures meant for more moderate climes. In six years of Ground Engineering on Albert I got one trip to Los Angeles. The route gave us 24 hours on the ground due to crew duty hours. On landing, the snags on the frame meant that I was ready to start testing just as the Flt Engineer turned up from his day off. I was wearing the same clothes I landed in and had salvaged some left over food from the galley, before cleaning it up. We departed "on time" and that's where we all get our job satisfaction from, or we did then. It sounds like shooting a line, but it really was the way GEs worked often well away from mainstream support and having to improvise. It's a good thread this, it shows that across the RAF, aircraft tradesmen have always had "trying" situations, or badly thought out maintenance requirements. My own personal worst job was the detail X on the JP5 undercarriage. I had the record at 48 minutes in SSF at Cranwell in 1976, but only a one off. How many did we do where the locking wire "age hardened" as you did the last few twists ?

Smudge