PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Simulator Training for strong crosswind landings
Old 20th Jun 2014, 17:44
mnttech

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
There of course are always at least two sides to any subject. Years ago, a local Director of Operations went to fly a major airlines “qualified” MD-80 simulator. During the engine out work, he stated that the simulator needed a lot of rudder to keep the aircraft straight. Upon further investigation, it was found that both engines center of thrust were about 10 feet farther out than they should have been.

I had a new dry lease crew come out of the simulator and complain it did not handle correctly. When I asked, I was told it was “not stable in the horizontal axis!” I replied, “Lateral or longitudinal, rotation of, or rotation around?” The crew walked away…

AirRabbit has done a great job in this topic, and reading between the lines (and adding my own 2 cents) I would say that simulation training is more of a group (pilots, instructors, certification, evaluation, maintenance, data gathering) effort than operating the actual aircraft.