PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SL Jimmy Harrison wristwatch.. well maybe...
Old 20th Jun 2014, 15:14
milcollector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL Jimmy Harrison wristwatch.. well maybe...

Hi I'm a newbie here but have used the site before for reference

I'm a military watch collector for a number of years and have a collection that covers all MOD services, but I particularly focus on Longines that had a good history with the MOD.

As many of you will know, after the war the MOD tendered for the Mark 11 pilot navigator specification wristwatch. Longines supplied 50 watches as prototypes, but the MOD went with the IWC & JLC.

I came across a couple of interesting watches at an auction in Sheffield. A longines and JLC 6B/346 together. The Longines has a bit of a grail in the military watch world, this one however was changed from the normal specification.

I purchased the watches but realised that the longines even though pimped was am important watch and asked the auction house the story.

They said "It came from a house clearance ( sadly no children)of 2 local doctors, the lady Dr being the last to die, 2 years after her husband, the watch however was more likely to come from her family, who's name was Harrison. I've checked all the information and traced Harrison to daughter and am happy that this is the case.

The watch as stated has been altered and I don't know if the MOD did it or AVRO

My questions that need answering if possible...

Is there anyone alive that flew or served with Harrison from 1947 onwards especially anyone that flew/worked with him at AVRO

Harrison had two daughter's does any one know both first names, one was Pamela (Dr) Bailey but the other?

Did anyone see him wearing a large 40mm white dial wristwatch? is their an image of him wearing such a time piece?

The watch was more than likely issued in 1949 but was changed when? did avro make there own dials? and did they engrave the dial first then fill with paint?

I am not trying to add value through association but have a rare watch that wants to tell me a story