PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HK AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL BLOG
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2014, 12:45
psychohk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R/T and SPEED CONTROL QUESTIONS

1. During busy periods when HK Director (119.5) is in use, it seems implied that we check in with our call sign only (no altitude, speed, heading). Is this officially published anywhere or is it simply local knowledge?

The HK AIP doesn’t differentiate between checking in on Director as opposed to any other HK sector; ie., AIP ENR 1.1.2 requires: callsign, level and cleared level in all cases. Operational FAD controllers are in favour of the change to callsign only and it was recommended some years ago but was not taken forward. The HKATCA will approach the officer in charge for his consideration.

2. On approach to RWY 07L we are typically assigned 220 kts at around 30 nm to touchdown. For the 'procedural approach' to RWY 07L there is a speed of 180 kts at Tonic. When being vectored for the approach (non-procedural) are we able to automatically ignore the previously assigned 220 kts and reduce to 180 kts when on base?

No, you cannot slow as the current ATC clearance applies (in this case 220 kts). Half the guys I fly with request speed reduction and half simply start slowing down. Yes, I would too, as a stable-approach would be foremost in my mind and the principle of aviate, navigate and communicate applies - but I would certainly advise the Director that I’m slowing down. From the HKATCA perspective, stable-approaches are a safety issue and the HKATCA strongly supports air traffic management’s efforts to drastically reduce the amount of vectoring inside of the IAF’s.

Thanks again for the blog.
It's a great source of knowledge.

Answers courtesy of APP Control