PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2014, 11:20
Ian Burgess-Barber

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Some thanks are in order.

Petet
Again your erudition solves my miss-reading of the handwritten record cards, A means attached not admitted (in the medical sense):

"The (A) means that he was attached to the unit for a limited period, as opposed to being posted to that unit. One example of its usage would be if he was sent for a training course, but there are many others.

I also note that a detachment of 6 (P) AFU was based at Chedworth from 10th August 1943 to 18th October 1943 [Source: RAF Flying Training and Support Units by Ray Sturtivant] which suggests that he was "attached to Chedworth" from 15th September 1943 to 6th October 1943.

UPDATE: I have found an article which outlines the training at Little Rissington in 1943. It states "The other airfield that we worked from was Chedworth which had the runways and a lighting system for our 20 hours night flying"

(GEOFF ACTUALLY LOGGED 30 HOURS NIGHT FLYING MULTI).

This is an absolute gem of information for me, so it does seem that all Geoff's multi training (the whole four months) was with 6 (P) AFU starting 3/8/1943, A for "attached to Chedworth from 15/9/1943, then returning to 6 (P) AFU Little Rissington 6/10/1943 until reporting to 5 PDC on 4/12/1943 for dispatch to India. Perhaps there was an urgent need for pilots in India at that juncture and the crossing out of what (I think) says 1517 BAT Flight on the next line before 5 PDC means that it was planned, but cancelled, as there would be no 'Beams for him to approach" in India at that time!

Warmtoast
Thanks for the link to the Flying Boat voyage - great account.

Danny
I take your point about travelling out by air not being a likely scenario for an NCO, but I am really curious as to how he came to log 43.20 pax hours by that stage of the game.

Thanks to all

Ian B-B

Last edited by Ian Burgess-Barber; 20th Jun 2014 at 14:07. Reason: Added date.