PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flybe DHC8 F/O recruitment
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2014, 09:43
Holyjoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lord Spandex Masher
Holyjoe, do you really think a 16 hour JOC ten years prior to flying a jet is any use whatsoever? Do you think, maybe, that 10 years operating the Q400 to be more relevant?

I know someone who did a JOC on a Kingair sim, was that in any way helpful when he started flying the 146? Nope.

A JOC is utterly irrelevant to flying a jet.
Have you done a JOC or are you flying a jet at the moment?
The JOC is to take your skills to the next level. It is supposed tohelp you make the transition from light aircraft to heavier machines that fly faster.
Some find it useful, others not. However it is a requirement and thats the way it is.
Paying for a type rating and line training is squeezing more money out of you, but the JOC has been around for 20+ years so there must be some merit to it. Yes I found it useful and it was an excellent way of cementing the Multicrew skills. I rather look at the value of all training rather than question the point of it. All that negative energy being pissed off at a system that will never change...do a JOC and enjoy it.
A leading UK airline are considering running MCC/JOC courses and using them as a way to spot talent amongst modular students. Many airlines recruit this way. Don't mock the JOC...it has its place.
And I doubt your mate did a JOC on a Kingair as it is a turboprop...keep it real here!