PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 20th Jun 2014, 08:07
ancientaviator62

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice pics of GW1 'K'. By the time I get there in my chronology I will hopefully have found my GW1 pics, or at least some of them. We hid from a Scud attack at Al Jubail. The alert was for real but the thing fell in the sea. I have to work chronologically otherwise my input will be like the BBC, full of repeats.
This pic is a puzzle. Yes I know it is a T56-15 neatly cowled in our most loved colour complete with feathered Hamilton Standard 'paddle'. The puzzle is why it was feathered. Normally I record such things in my log book, but no reference to a shut down No 3 can I find of this era (had two in succession but that may be a later story). Others yes. For that RAF traditionally lethal practice of shutting down engines for assymmetric practice it was always an outboard. So either I did not record this one or I have reversed the pic. Perhaps smudge's expert forensic G/E eye can tell whether the pic is reversed. I have several 'air tests' in the log book so perhaps it was shut down as part of that. As smudge and others will no doubt testify, most engine shutdowns were due to prop problems rather than with the 'Detroit Diesel'.