PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - X-Ray Vision in Perth?
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2014, 06:05
Pontius

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was under the impression that, at the minima, you need to see lighting associated with the approach end of the runway in order to decide to continue toward a landing, irrespective of the reported ATC RVR.

Is this not correct?
That all depends on whether the Approach Ban 'procedure' is applicable in Oz. This procedure allows you to commence an instrument approach with the RVR /CMV below minimums for that procedure but, when reaching the OM/FAF/1000' (delete as applicable to operator's country), you have to carry out a missed approach if the RVR/CMV is still below mins. Having passed the Approach Ban Point (with the RVR/CMV above mins) if the visibility then deteriorates below mins you may continue the approach until the normal decision point. If you can then see the appropriate references then continue, if not, go-around.

As far as I know, this 'procedure' is state-wide and not only applied to certain operators within a country, hence my question about it applying in Oz when it was suggested that QF may be ruled by it, whereas others were not.