PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are Hard Landing Required to Be Reported to FAA?
Old 4th May 2003, 22:03
pcascio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are Hard Landing Required to Be Reported to FAA?

On landing at Hartford on Friday (Embraer flown by Chataqua (sp?)/America West from Columbus.), I, as a passenger, experienced what I believe was a near-auger event and would like to have your interpretation.

In brief, we had a bone-jarring impact of the main gear in a vertical drop that I would estimate was at least several feet.

So hard was the landing that, when I looked at the flight attendant facing me from my third row seat, he was shaking his head from side to side and appeared quite shaken. He later said it was "only his second landing," I assume he meant the co-pilot?

Had I the presence of mind, I would have pursued an explanation, but the cockpit doors stayed closed as I exited, and we did "walk away," so I guess the landing met some minimal standard.

But In retrospect, it seems to me this plane should have been inspected before flying again.

Anyway, I would sure appreciate an opinion on what I might have done, or should still do, as a passenger and what the Captain's responsibilities are. Any harder and I think the landing gear may have broken. I've been flying regularly for years and have never experienced such a landing. Weather was good with little or no wind.

Thanks for taking time to respond