PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2014, 20:52
Ian Burgess-Barber

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Responses to my last......

HighTow

Thanks for your interest, my own research about Chedworth has not brought up any more clues about why Chedworth is on his Unit Record Card date 15.9.43. Little Rissington is where he was anyway with 6 (P) AFU. I thought it might be a hospital admission because the letter (capital) A preceeds it. The next entry, (crossed out) may be 1517 BAT Flight (Blind, or Beam Approach Training. Thereafter he is on his way to India.

harrym

Your posts, IMHO are a masterclass of reportage, so I thank you for for your info. that Korangi Creek was the terminal at Karachi for the Flying Boats - and not a million miles from RAF Mauripur. Paula (my ex-BOAC Purser partner) tells me that they still used to go out on the "Bunda" boats from "The Rest House" in Karachi in the 1960s. Allahabad is on the confluence of the Ganga and (an)other river. Gwalior has a big reservoir to the west so that was probably their "alighting" point as the Flying Boat folk would describe it. Flying in the lower levels, (pre. pressurised A/C) in the intense heat of India must have been a "lumpy" thing to endure, but to then experience sea-sickness would really have taken the gloss of the seeming glamour of the "BOAC takes good care of you" experience.

Ian B-B

Last edited by Ian Burgess-Barber; 19th Jun 2014 at 20:58. Reason: remove repetition