PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane makes precautionary landing.
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2014, 20:17
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
It was a precautionary landing due to bad weather. The pilots walked away from it unharmed.

They seem to have picked a rather sub-optimal field and broken the nosegear and probably the prop and thus shock-loaded the engine. That's rather unfortunate.

However, this is not a tragedy, it's a pilot sensibly doing what he was trained to do, but getting unlucky at the end. If he'd pushed on in deteriorating weather and flown into a tree, then it would be a tragedy.

I don't think from the photo on the BBC website that he picked a good field, but equally I doubt he had many to choose from and was making a choice in a hurry. I'd certainly not be overly concerned about putting a C152 in a field - in some conditions it's a perfectly sensible thing to do, and this was quite probably such conditions.

Power to his elbow, and call it what it is - a good decision, that ended badly due to probably poor luck. He walked away from it, and in all likelihood the aeroplane will be flying again in a couple of months.

G