PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2014, 16:36
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PJ2
But physiological and psychological human responses which sublimate rational responses may be mitigated, as I went to some trouble to define, by thorough training, an abiding mentality of cockpit discipline when the going gets interesting, and recent developments borne of the results of such cockpit chaos and rapid loss of SA as we see in the AF447 cockpit; these developments are known as CRM and SOPs.
And that is *exactly* what I meant by "improvement", so please accept my apologies if that wasn't clear.

But that's what training, SOPs and CRM are for - to replace fear quickly and provide the road map forward which sublimates initial fright to engender disciplined action. It works - thousands of minor incidents like this occur in airliners every day and they are non-events.
Absolutely - and all I was saying was that there may be some possible solutions to plug the gaps where the situation still goes pear-shaped in spite of those things.

The sustained and increasing pitch is significant enough to be separately-intentional and not a result of inadvertent input while getting the roll under control.
I certainly agree that the pitch input was separate from the roll inputs, and always have. What I do question is whether the intention was conscious or sub-conscious.

Last edited by DozyWannabe; 19th Jun 2014 at 17:21.