PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spain sees the light, France next ?
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2014, 15:45
HundredPercentPlease

Received 37 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by hec7or
but why would ICAO stick to the status quo?
Dunno. But I have an idea.

Why in major international events, especially ones televised around the world, do all spokespeople chose to use English, with the exception of the French (and this ranges from the PM down to the Eurovision points announcer) who just blast out in French as if it were some kind of sin, or removal of national right, to use the language only the French consider as the international language.

I suspect lobbying.

But it doesn't matter. The Germans could do the same thing, but they don't. The Dutch could do the same thing, but they don't. Even the Turks, Greeks and Egyptians put safety first, and use English. It's not a problem so long as the use of the language is proficient - and if it's good enough for an emergency in English (which it has to be) then it's good enough to use all the time.

Only the French search around for excuses to ignore this blatant fact, and it's increasing risk unnecessarily. Everyone else sees that - but they refuse to open their eyes.

Tragic, especially when it has already caused (according to the report, already quoted in this thread) fatalities.

My only hope lies in the example of the AF (French) Captain who shouted at the controller to use English, since they were in an emergency/Mayday condition. At least there are some pilots out there who understand.