PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying a DC-3 from Ipoh to Taiping:
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2003, 19:46
Prince of Dzun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying a DC-3 from Ipoh to Taiping:

Back in the 1950s Malayan Airways operated a daily DC-3 all stops service between Singapore and Penang. The sector from Ipoh to Taiping was considered as " good fun " and worthy of reminiscence. This is how it was done.
Departure from Ipoh was always to the south using Rw 22. At 600' right turn towards the range of high hills and point the DC-3 at the Taiping Gap. 1200' level off and reduce manifold pressure and rpm, mixtures to auto lean. On entering the Gap tuck the left wing up against the rocks and manoeuvre gently to fly a centre line through the " Vee " (high terrain on each side ) and at the same time try not to alarm the passengers. Mentally prepare for Taiping airfield which is around the corner from the western edge of the Gap. In anticipation set the approach manifold pressure, move the pitch levers to full fine and the mixture controls to auto rich. As the airfield appears call for " quarter flap " and " gear down. " When the gear is locked immediately call for the rest of the flap. Pin the airspeed at 78 kts and the descent rate at 500fpm. (This was important as the landing surface was grass and could be wet, also it was not very long. ) Cross the fence and close the throttles then three point YES THREE POINT the DC-3 gently on the soft grass. Flight time around 9 minutes. Now comes the pleasure of taxying up to a small attap type building with walkways that were covered in beautiful tropical flowers set against a background of high hills. Indeed it was a lovely airfield and all that then remained of the sector was to stand around the DC-3 and take in the flowers and surroundings. Ipoh to Taiping is embedded in my memory as something special and to think I was actually paid to do it.
It is possibly all different now, I suspect the grass is changed to concrete, the attap hut is a sterile building and the flowers are gone. Perhaps someone can tell me how the Ipoh to Taiping sector is flown today.

Prince of Dzun

P.S. Malayan Airways DC-3 policy was for the pilot flying to occupy the left seat. Written check lists were not used, it was all done from memory which allowed rapid calls and response. Nothing was ever missed and the cockpit atomosphere was always (almost always) pleasant and co-operative. A really great outfit and a fitting mother and father to both SIA and MAS.