PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LONDON GLIDING CLUB
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2014, 09:37
FullWings

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1) If I go on this course, how is it structured? Do I go there and have to spend ages waiting for 'my turn to fly' or is it like learn some stuff, go for a flight, review flight or learn some more, go for another fly??
Intensive courses tend to be just that: intensive! On the first day, I’d expect you to be launched by being pulled up by a powered aeroplane (aerotow) and taken up to a reasonable altitude to show you the effects of the controls and give you some initial “stick time”. After that, it’s generally winch launching to practice circuits, coordination and what to do if the launch fails at any point.

I’m sure if the wind is blowing on the ridge or if there is thermal activity, your instructor will be very keen to get you soaring as soon as possible.

In terms of the amount of launches/flying you’ll get, it’s mostly weather dependent but for training, if it’s dry, there's less than 30kts of wind on the airfield and the cloud base is over 600ft above the ground, you’ll probably fly. A 9-5 day out on the field with a short break for lunch is normally enough for most people. Traditionally, instructing has been bunched into sets of three flights, then a break and so on but your instructor will modify this to fit in with your learning requirements.

2) Obviously I won't be a qualified glider pilot after this course, so what kind of thing do I do after it? How much does it cost for me to take more lessons with an instructor?
If you enjoy the experience and want to take it further, it’s a good idea to continue with intensive training as soon as possible after a course. Free time and money notwithstanding, another week’s course should get you close, if not at the point of going solo, which is just the beginning. Many clubs offer half-day, one-day, weekend and other permutations of courses to suit. At LGC you can book sessions online and they also do evening instruction during the lighter months so you can have a couple of hours after work if you live/work within a reasonable distance. Clubs also normally give good discounts to people joining the club off a course.

In UK gliding, instruction is free, you pay for the launch (£4-£10 for winch, £25-£40 aerotow to 2,000ft) plus “air time” if this is charged, e.g. £0.20-£0.70 per minute. The bigger clubs sometimes offer a “fixed price to solo” tariff, including unlimited winch launching and glider use: this varies a lot depending on the equipment the club has but is generally in the order of £1,000-£1,500.

3) (General question) How much do you reckon it costs to get from zero to qualified?
It depends almost entirely on aptitude/confidence and the period of time over which you undertake the training. To get to SPL or LAPL(S) level, I’d say a couple of grand but there is a huge variation depending on the level of service you are happy with and how the learning experience works for you. There is an average but the standard deviation is large!

Any other advice is welcomed!
I’d say that if you’re dead set on learning to fly, you’ve already made a good decision by looking at intensive courses: by far the best way to kick start your glider flying, IMHO.

If you’re interested but not quite sure how you’d feel in the air and want to check it out before committing, one-off instructional flights are available at most clubs but it would be sensible to do it at the club you think you might be doing further training at. Tell the instructor that you’re seriously thinking of taking up the sport and doing an intensive course and you’ll get your first lesson!