PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Drover - Question.
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2014, 07:17
Hempy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tail wheel
Capt Fathom

On 16 July 1951 the third Drover built (registration VH-EBQ in service with Qantas), crashed off the coast of New Guinea (in the Huon Gulf near the mouth of the Markham River) after the centre engine's propeller failed. The pilot and the six passengers on board were killed. As of August 2011 this was the last fatal accident suffered by Qantas. At the time of the crash the aircraft was only ten months old.

The prototype Drover VH-DHA operated by the Australian Department of Civil Aviation was ditched in the Bismarck Sea between Wewak and Manus Island on 16 April 1952. The port propeller failed, a propeller blade penetrated the fuselage and the pilot was rendered unconscious; the ditching was performed by a passenger. On this occasion the three occupants survived the ordeal to be rescued.

A third aircraft (VH-EBS, also owned by Qantas) suffered a propeller failure while still on the ground in September the same year.
Is the VH-DHA ditching the DCA incident you were thinking of? I didn't know Fred lost part of his foot? Been twenty years since I saw Fred, I guess he's passed away now?
Think there's some confusion.

VH-DCA

Ditched in sea 100 miles from Wewak, New Guinea. During an over-water flight from Wewak to Momote, Manus Island, the port propeller sheared off in flight and penetrated the cockpit. DCA pilot Clarrie R. Hibbert's foot was severely injured and passenger DCA inspector Tom Drury took over the controls for a controlled ditching. Drover sank. The three occupants in an emergency dingy were picked up next morning by Qantas Catalina VH-EBD, which landed alongside them at sea.