PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Drover - Question.
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2014, 19:22
tail wheel

Received 204 Likes on 115 Posts
Capt Fathom

On 16 July 1951 the third Drover built (registration VH-EBQ in service with Qantas), crashed off the coast of New Guinea (in the Huon Gulf near the mouth of the Markham River) after the centre engine's propeller failed. The pilot and the six passengers on board were killed. As of August 2011 this was the last fatal accident suffered by Qantas. At the time of the crash the aircraft was only ten months old.

The prototype Drover VH-DHA operated by the Australian Department of Civil Aviation was ditched in the Bismarck Sea between Wewak and Manus Island on 16 April 1952. The port propeller failed, a propeller blade penetrated the fuselage and the pilot was rendered unconscious; the ditching was performed by a passenger. On this occasion the three occupants survived the ordeal to be rescued.

A third aircraft (VH-EBS, also owned by Qantas) suffered a propeller failure while still on the ground in September the same year.
Is the VH-DHA ditching the DCA incident you were thinking of? I didn't know Fred lost part of his foot? Been twenty years since I saw Fred, I guess he's passed away now?

The loss of VH-EBQ is still shrouded in the mystery of what happened to the consignment of gold that was rumoured to be on board.

Aroa

Bob Paul often laughed over the fact he wanted to register Air Melanesae in the Condominium as Air Condom but the Brits wouldn't allow it. I seem to recall it was originally New Hebrides Airways?