PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Wright brothers just glided in 1903. They flew in 1908.
Old 18th Jun 2014, 18:58
eetrojan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is my understanding that the Wrights were launching the Flyer from the hill on the 14th, but as shown in the photo above, they moved the rail to the flats on the 17th.

Per one website - In the John Daniels letter below from 1933, written twenty years after the events, Mr. Daniels "confused some of the events that occurred on Dec. 17th with events that occurred on the 14th. The coin toss he describes occurred on the 14th." (emphasis mine)

In my opinion, the photo trumps the conflated inconsistency in Mr. Daniel's 20 year old memories. Your mileage may vary.

Manteo NC

June 30 —- 1933

Dear friend,

I Don’t know very much to write about the flight. I was there, and it was on Dec the 17, — 1903 about 10 o’clock. They carried the machine up on the Hill and Put her on the track, and started the engine, and they through a coin to see who should take the first go, so it fell on Mr. Orval, and he went about 100 feet or more, and then Mr. Wilbur taken the machine up on the Hill and Put her on the track and he went off across the Beach about a half a mile or more before he came Down. He flew so close to the top of a little hill the he Pulled the Rudder off so we had to Bring her back to the camp, and it was there I got tangled up in the machine and she Blew off across the Beach with me hanging in it, and she went all to Pieces. It Didn’t Hurt me much I got bruised me some. They Packed up every thing and went home at Dayton. That ended the Day. I snapped the first Picture of a Plain that ever flew. They were very nice men and we all enjoyed Being out at the Camp with them mostly every Day.

That accident made me the first airoplane causiality in the world and I have Piece of the upright that I was holding on to when It fell.

Would be glad to Render any informattion at any time you need it.

Sincerely,

John T. Daniels
Manteo NC
Box 1W
Eyewitness Account of First Flight by John Daniels