PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you become a Professional Pilot again?
Old 18th Jun 2014, 12:56
Thomas coupling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

I'm out of the hands on now, after 30 years of physical poling, I have probably covered 70% of all types of helo ops.
I don't miss it. I have emotionally moved on - I am mid 50's and doing something else for a change because even my last poling job became very boring after a while (don't most jobs? I said MOST not all) and that job - most pilots would have killed for a crack at it.
It wasn't the reason I left however.
Suffice to say - I believe I have been blessed with the opportunities afforded me in the aviation world - Mil for many years and Police for many years!
I challenge anyone to tell me that they HAVEN'T enjoyed flying. Savour that last word: "Flying". How many normal mortals get the chance to fly almost every day of their lives, I ask you????? IF you asked any member of the public would they like to lift off and soar through the clouds and look down over our beautiful countryside at any time day or night - 95% of men would say yes and probably 40% of women would (strange but true).

I digress - the OP asks about professional flying.

This is where it gets messy and I get confrontational:
I don't think anyone will argue that military flying is the best form of flying ever! Almost all regimes of flight are encountered and explored. Commercial: Mmmm a different beast methinks. Pick the wrong type of professional flying and the love affair could quite easily fizzle out - and quickly.

I have never flown Oil rigs - I have flown in a goon suit for bloody years though and I know (without having done it for real) that offshore oil and gas rig flying is enough to drive any proper pilot to drink! Monotonous doesn't even come near it!
Charter - Mmmm, those who have worked with me and who have come from this background offer mixed reviews. Good clients, bad clients.
Corporate - Again mixed reviews but perhaps even more heavily biased towards bad experiences due to unsymapthetic principle owners.
Crop/L lifting/bush etc: Mmmm Those I have talked to indetail seem overall to have discovered a niche market (in this country anyway) where there is massive +ve feedback. You are almost your own boss. Back to basics yes, but they certainly know how to get the best out of their steed...and IF they survive, they seem to make the best 'Polers' in the industry.

I come from an industry where money was no object. The best possible cabs, the best possible maintenance and the best ever - equipment. Because of this, it attracts the best ever people....and the picture becomes complete.

Would I go back and do it again: In a heartbeat!