PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates (EK) Interview - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 4th May 2003, 12:44
Reverend Doctor Doug

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Conversely W.K I am tied into a good currency, which is why it is strong to the USD. The people tied into crap currencies are probably still doing allright. Having said that, I notice the Euro has strengthened at least 20% to the USD over the last 12 months, with sterling almost as strong. So it isn't just my currency. If you knew much about currency exchange you would be aware that it is the USD that is losing value more than other currencies strengthening. Thus everyone here is being affected to some degree, except for those whose home currency is tied to the USD.
The other point worth noting is that our management made a big song and dance just over a year ago explaining that although our salaries are low, when you take into account the tax free status and the strong USD, then we are doing OK. That was probably a fair comment at the time. Now however the USD is not doing so well, and probably heading further south, so accordingly our salaries are going with it.
I expect you will trot out the exchange rate protection line next. That is an excellent benefit we have, but it is only applied to half your salary and capped at 15%, so there is a very definite limit to how much benefit that will gain you.
As I have said earlier, I am not trying to put EK down, I am happy with my decision to come here. I just find that a lot of posts here are from reasonably new guys who have not been bitten, or seen anyone bitten by the fine print. Therefor their posts tend to give a one sided rosy picture. As a counter point, i am trying to let people know a few of the glitches to being here so that they can make an informed decision on whether to come or not. Given the present climate in aviation, I suspect that nothing would stop a prospective aviator from taking up a position here, and i say good luck and welcome to them. On the other hand, even guys who have no other job to go to will be far happier here if they come with an awareness of a few of the less attractive aspects of life in Dubai.