PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How many of your CPL classmates are flying 7 years after graduation?
Old 18th Jun 2014, 09:01
magicmick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi PC
An interesting thread so I’ll kick off what will hopefully be plenty of feedback with my own experiences.

I qualified from a modular school back in April 2008 so I’ve not quite got the ‘7 year itch’ yet.

Of those that I’m aware of that qualified around this time:

One self funded a TP rating, he has done some ferry work, had a 6 month contract with an airline and got a job with another airline that went bust while he was still line training with them. He keeps his medical and rating in date.

Another is working as an instructor for the school that he did he CPL with, he instructs pretty much everything up to and including MEIR.

Another started as a part time instructor with the same school but he has drifted off, not sure what he’s up to now.

Another started flying an MEP survey aircraft and has progressed onto light TPs now, mostly charter, medevac and air taxi stuff.

Another also started part time instruction but is now flying cargo TPs.

Another was a committed Christian and wanted to fly for MAF but didn’t have the minimum hours requirement so they started flying an SEP for a radio station ‘eye in the sky’ traffic broadcast, not sure if they ever made it into MAF or not.

Another passed the interview and sim check for a well known TP operator and was placed in the hold pool. While swimming in the pool they had to maintain a certain level of flying currency and was spending about £5k per year to achieve this so got a security job to get some money coming in. Last I heard they lost patience swimming in the pool and gave up.

Then there’s me, before I started flying training I was an engineer so I have gone back to a well paid engineering job for now to provide for my family and to allow me to maintain my medical, MEIR and a bit of currency.

I haven’t given up, maybe at the 7 year point I’ll throw my hands in the air and shout ‘ it’ and give up (not likely). The point at which to throw in the towel is very subjective and we’re all different, my own view is that I have put so much time, effort and money into this I won’t go down without a bloody good fight. Right now I can see a few situations which might get me to wrap:

If my wonderful wife were to lose faith and stop encouraging me to continue

If to keep going would threaten the welfare and support of my family.

If I were to suffer illness or injury serious enough to forfeit my medical.

Until then I shall keep going, some very decent people within the industry have been generous enough to offer to keep their eyes and ears open and help me out in any way possible which they don’t have to do and I am extremely grateful for.