PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - THY question
Thread: THY question
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2014, 21:19
Vortex Thing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel

Hey Rusty D,

Sadly there is no right way to leave THY early. How you actually go about doing it will depend on how long you have spent of your 365 day contract. If you are long haul fleet the process is slightly easier than if you are short haul as you are treated a little less like a child.

Suffice to say that if you need to go at lets say 6 months served as a yabanci pilot. Then my suggestion would be to get as much of your house in order as possible before you utter a word to THY. If you absolutely cannot make it to 3 months before the end of your year then you basically have to accept that you will end up owing them money or orchestrate a tactical withdrawal like below.

Assuming the contract hasn't changed too much if you take a look at paragraph 2.2.1 in your contract it basically says that if you leave for any reason at all before you first year is served you have to pay back the entire cost of your "training". I personally witnessed how some of my colleagues were treated in this instance. They basically charged them for all of their uniform, the initial 30-45 days in the hotel, their OCC (Conversion course), even their line check, joining flights and repatriation etc were all calculated and totalled up. They then cancelled their residents permit and took it back and did not even give them a repatriation flight. In sum they got stung for about 4 months salary. They stop your salary immediately, stop your ID cards working so you cannot get into ops of the Genel Mudurluk, had to pay a full fare flight home and had difficulty leaving the country as without a residents permit and no visitors visa (as you were not a visitor) immigration did not understand how you had legally entered the country!!

So personally I would decide when I was going, move out of the apartment there you live, pay of any credit cards from Crappy Kredi, and leave the account open with a zero balance. Then return everything i.e every single book, both sets of wings i.e to the last pair of socks into the THY issue roller suitcase. Then go over to the GHQ get a staff travel ticket issued.

Next pop over to a mates apartment in Yesilkoy, have a few goodbye beers, give them said suitcase. Get on the plane home and then make a phone call to your fleet manager.

FEDEX the foreign pilots department every document your "JAA/EASA" validation, THY ID cards, residents permit, etc get your mate to hand in your suitcase with every item of issued clothing.

If you cannot bring yourself to exit in this manner then go to the chemist ask for a large tube of lubricant pop over to see the foreign pilots department and break them the news. They will basically stop all staff travel, cancel everything immediately roster you for every single remaining day in Ankara, cancel all remaining leave and not help you with anything at all. You will be lucky to even get a flight home. Your pay will be stopped immediately for the next 2-3 months until they calculate any "costs" and then they will tell you how much you owe them! Forget your last few months salary as you will never see it.

Or you could just finish out your year and perhaps get out 7 days early like I did! Just do not sign the renewal of contract and make sure you get your log book stamped and a letter of permission from your fleet manager to leave with good conduct before you say you are not renewing and you will get some money a few months of threatening legal action later.

Good luck with leaving early