PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spain sees the light, France next ?
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2014, 19:25
Squawk7777

Location: formally Alamo battleground, now the crocodile with palm trees!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel

I was accused here of a lazy response, one thing that is very definitely a lazy (and totally unsubstantiated) claim is that making English a single language for R/T communications is arrogant and pompous. Any way you can back that up? Or is it a lazy and easy defence against the FACT that many in the industry are lacking the required standard in English Language Proficiency?
I dare you! Post this in the Latin America and Caribbean forum and see what replies you get!

Oddly (not), the use of English R/T only is mainly supported by monoglots and it is usually directed at France. Another way to vent one's francophobia. Those people demanding English R/T only simply (want to) ignore that English is NOT the only language used. Those claiming safety ignore facts posted by ATC Watcher and like to point out the accident at CDG. Once again, the crew did NOT maintain sterile cockpit. Doesn't matter if it is in English-only and dual language airspace. The report on the accident in Yugoslavia also pointed out that one of the BEA crew members was working on a crossword puzzle. But it is always easy to point the finger at ... France.

Finally, here's some food for thought that hardly anybody likes to comment on:

1. Eyes - you should have two. If something doesn't look right, act. Don't wait for ATC to tell you what to do.
2. TCAS - gives you situational awareness in the air and on the ground. Should make this hate-thread obsolete.
3. Military aircraft - usually on UHF and in the same airspace. You won't hear a beep.
4. Multiple frequencies - even in English-only R/T environment you do not have the entire picture.
5. Monitoring frequencies and situational awareness - Since this is one of my pet peeves, I have watched F/O to training captains when I flew contract in the UK. Even the biggest defender of English-only R/T did not monitor or cared to monitor ATC for situational awareness (in UK airspace), but were very judgmental on those frogs when crossing the channel.
6. The CAA term "provided the risk is low" - There are no studies suggesting permanent higher risk due to dual language ATC.
7. Act professionally - Keep 1-5 in mind when you fly into foreign airspace, adjust accordingly and accept that things can be different not worse in other countries. If you can't, well don't fly internationally.

Last edited by Squawk7777; 17th Jun 2014 at 19:45.