PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - One for the maintainers, hardest job you have done
Old 17th Jun 2014, 19:06
engoal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Victor

Two to choose from:

Removing the No3 tank in the port wing, having climbed up the undercarriage, crawled through one 18" wide oval aperture in the centre spar, then through the second 18" wide aperture in the forward spar, then turning back through 120 degrees, past the hissing combust start bottles, to crawl through a third 18" aperture, then crawling down a narrowing bag tank cavity and then lying on my back in 3" of fuel while trying to 'unpop' the poppers that held the tank onto the underside of the wing upper skin, safe in the knowledge that, if anything went adrift, I was on my own. Happy days.

or

Perched precariously on the RAT intake using my pitiful 18 yr old/10 stone body to hold the RAT intake down against its spring while someone else fitted a new chipper duct beneath me, all the while contemplating the steep and curving fuselage that led to an attractive 15 ft drop onto the floor. Safety harnesses? Nah - they're for poofs, mate. Apparently.