PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie & Flying Training Advice (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2014, 03:25
peterc005

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@Alex3008 - I think two years for completion is possible, but a lot of it comes down to motivation and being organised.

Generally the mature-age students with some aviation experience do better than schools leavers because they able to focus better.

My suggestion is to try and do at least your BAK and maybe PPL theory exams before you start. You'd get Recognition for Prior Learning (RPL) and would save time and fees.

I've known a lot of people who've been through the Swinburne courses and have a favourable impression, although I've heard that a combination of the OAA/CAE ownership changes and too many students means it can be a bit disorganised and requires push to get through.

One problem with all integrated courses is that people run out of funding before completion because the training takes longer than the curriculum. My suggestion is be organised and do as much pre-preparation as possible to get thru in the minimum time.

A lot of the aviation training experience depends on the individual instructors, and this is universal across all schools. If you are not happy with progress with one instructor, try a different one. One thing I like about RMIT is that students generally have one primary and a secondary instructor, which should make the training more cohesive.

I've been encouraging Junior to do his IREX and ATPL theory with Lionel Taylor at Moorabbin to save on fees and broaden his experience.