PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2014, 03:16
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
I am gonna go with 'bird and gang up on the Doze! Heh heh.

There is one helluva difference between the "direct" roll commands in Alt 2 and the roll implementation in Alt 1 ( thanks, 'bird..... I forgot the mode -- exxxxcuuuuseee me!)). My documents show something that looks like "stby gains" for Alt 2 according to configuration, but also states the control surface deflection is directly related to stick delection - full stick gives you full deflection and the "gains" move the surfaces at an appropriate rate ( just like the Viper did over ten years before, except our roll was still a body rate command and not an actual control surface deflection).

So @ Doze: Easier to get into a PIO in Alt 2 than Alt 1 or "normal". Doesn't excuse the "startle" factor we have discussed, if that's what happened, but going from a rate command with all the protections and such to a "direct" mode is not trivial. Feedback to the pilot is basically "seat of the pants" and your inner ear gyros. Not sure what the pounds per degree of stick deflection are, but the Viper was basically 16 - 17 pounds full pressure/rate command for roll ( my leading edge flap failure had me holding about 15 - 16 pounds for the 15 minutes I was airborne just to get zero roll rate in actuality).

Still appreciate your inputs, Doze, and wish I coulda been there withya in the sim and trying to recover the jet. I thot someone else tried a "recovery" from the "top" of the climb and entry to a deeply salled condition.

Last edited by gums; 17th Jun 2014 at 13:18. Reason: added verbiage