PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2014, 23:30
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roulishollandais
But that text is not usable by pilots in flight and if you teach pilots on ground with that text...
I don't think it was intended for that, I think it was an attempt at a general summary.

... waiting 30seconds (Eternity) until the pitots ice is melted (perhaps never in case of failure) and systems fit again. You have to pilot your bird with pitch and power, that is "doing nothing" but as Machinbird said it "without keeping your hands in your pockets". Gums suggested the good delay for observation, appropriate decision, and starting correction without precipitation : 1 or 2 seconds...
Right, I don't think anyone's suggesting anything different. I think what does need to be pointed out, though, is that outside of a significant mechanical failure or sudden change in the weather conditions being transited, the pitch and power at the point of AP disconnect will usually be more-or-less correct for the conditions, and one should only change it immediately if a significant problem is developing.

That delay of 30 seconds appeared with A320 in some office. I was amazed since February 1988 that Pierre Baud accepted it.
Sorry, need some more detail on this - what are you referring to?

More ordinary pilots cannot do more complicated than gums or Machinbird. Accurate pedagogy is a condition of survival in flight.
As a rule, you don't really need to worry about systems functions at that level. The aircraft will still go where you point it.

Last edited by DozyWannabe; 16th Jun 2014 at 23:45.