PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2014, 23:01
roulishollandais

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snoop

@Winnerhofer
I was seeing that you replaced the unknown "URA"s by the "UAS"s (i.e. BEA and AF SOP). Much better !

But that text is not usable by pilots in flight and if you teach pilots on ground with that text about UAS they will start to write a book waiting 30seconds (Eternity) until the pitots ice is melted (perhaps never in case of failure) and systems fit again. You have to pilot your bird with pitch and power, that is "doing nothing" but as Machinbird said it "without keeping your hands in your pockets". Gums suggested the good delay for observation, appropriate decision, and starting correction without precipitation : 1 or 2 seconds...

That delay of 30 seconds appeared with A320 in some office. I was amazed since February 1988 that Pierre Baud accepted it.

SOP must be simple, but understanding the SOP during the time you do it must be simple too, as often a succession of factors and results happen in an emergency.

After some months gums pointed alt1 instead alt2b and came back to the C* definition, with limitation and rate limitations from fondamental pilot controlled parameters - pitch, bank, gee, power and their variations with help of reliable information like intertial data. More ordinary pilots cannot do more complicated than gums or Machinbird. Accurate pedagogy is a condition of survival in flight.